Director of Engineering
Full Time (UNITED STATES)
Our clients include globally recognized brands placing “big bets” and investing in long-term solutions to sustainability, quality, and affordability. We work closely with their leadership to craft multi-year strategies, with direct access to subject matter experts and end users who help us continuously drive toward business value.
Some questions we’ve tackled: How can software automatically lay out a building’s structural system based on unique constraints? How can software encourage reusable solutions that can be manufactured more sustainably and efficiently? How can we help a designer explore a thousand ideas in the time it currently takes to explore one?
Answers to these questions require passion for design and engineering that comes from every level of our company. This is why we’ve invested deeply in building a culture that empowers its employees to do great work and directly shape the future of its products. We want smart, creative, and intentional individuals to be part of our core team. Are you in?
We are actively seeking a skilled, outcome-oriented, and empathetic Engineering Director to join our growing team. You will work closely with our CTO, along with product design & management, business development, and our highly skilled software engineers and engineering managers to bring ideas to life. The engineering team is a mix of people from traditional CS backgrounds as well as non-traditional backgrounds such as architecture, mechanical engineering, music, and more. We value this diversity and pride ourselves on being a place that creates opportunities for motivated individuals to move into technology careers.
We value outcome-oriented problem solving, open mindedness, balancing scrappiness and attention to detail, and a mindset that recognizes that small, positive, incremental changes can have huge impact over time to improve the quality and efficiency of our engineering team.
- Oversee day to day operations of our 100% remote software engineering team
- Provide support and coaching for engineering managers to effectively support their direct reports; additionally, directly oversee some IC engineers
- Help to drive overall technical direction and architecture of our applications & platform
- Understand and provide big-picture reasoning behind work to be done, help engineering team plan their work (as needed)
- As an engineering leader, you are not expected to write code, though you will help the team to ensure the code base is high quality, well tested & documented, and strives for simplicity
- Conceptualize and lead initiatives to improve quality and robustness of our codebase, and encourage industry standard best practices around things like code review, documentation, deployments, architecture patterns, and more
- Manage team-wide project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables for the engineering teams, in collaboration with engineering managers and tech leads
- Be a primary stakeholder in the recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and retention process
- Teach what you know, acting as a mentor when appropriate, while staying open to a process of constant learning
- Proactively communicate with other members of the team, and sometimes external clients
- Outcome-oriented, creative, and proactive personality
- Positive attitude!
- 5-10+ years experience in an Engineering Management capacity
- Ability to internalize company values, mission, & goals through discussions with CTO and leadership team, and spread this widely amongst engineering
- Extensive enough technical experience to help drive overall architecture & key technical decisions
- Extensive experience in engineering management roles, and the desire & ability to coach less experienced engineering managers
- Quality & best-practice oriented mindset
- Mindset around establishing systems to support good engineering practices, and small positive incremental improvements
- Healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for employee & dependents. We cover 85% of the cost for employee, and 75% of the cost for dependents
- 401K with matching up to 4% of your salary
- Paid parental leave for all new parents
- Unlimited PTO
- 11 paid company holidays
- Computer and home office setup with phone and internet paid for up to $100 each.
- Annual stipend for education and professional development
- 100% remote working