Software Engineering Manager (Hybrid Onsite)
Full Time (UNITED STATES)
Some questions we find ourselves asking: How can we help an Architect explore thousands of ideas in the time it currently takes to explore one? How can software optimize the quality of space for usability while reducing the cost and resources required to build? How do we encourage adoption of reusable solutions that can be manufactured more sustainably and efficiently?
Answers to these questions require deep expertise in design and engineering that comes from every level of our company. This is why we’ve invested deeply in building a culture that empowers its employees to do great work and directly shape the future of its products. We want smart, creative, and intentional individuals to be part of our core team. Are you in?
We are actively seeking a skilled, proactive, and empathetic engineering manager to join our growing team. You will work closely with our Director of Engineering and our CTO, along with product design, business development, and of course highly skilled software engineers to bring ideas to life. We value open-mindedness, self-motivation, balancing scrappiness and attention to detail, and an attitude that encourages growth and personal ownership amongst the team. Outer Labs is a 100% distributed company, so creativity in engineering management practices is also valued.
Location: This position is restricted to those who are able to work from an office location in London, Ann Arbor, Austin, Bothell, Chicago, Dallas, Farmington Hills, Kirkland, Moncks Corner, Mountain View, New York, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Seattle, or Sunnyvale.
- Help recruit, hire, and onboard a new engineering team
- Oversee day to day operations of a hybrid onsite-offsite team, with several days weekly spent in office
- Manage or facilitate team-wide project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables for our three engineering teams
- Responsible for developing and sustaining collaborative and effective estimation and decomposition processes for teams and projects
- Provide direction for and reasoning behind work to be done, help engineering team plan their work (as needed)
- As an engineering manager, you are expected to effectively engage with the projects you manage, whether through contributing code directly, engaging with the merge review process, or contributing to the development pipeline or environment.
- Manage professional development of the engineers on the team through regular 1:1s
- Create development plans for engineers to help guide their career development
- Participate in design reviews; lead the engineering team on how to improve the quality of our infrastructure and our products
- Deliver and maintain technical specifications in collaboration with the team for features and systems
- Participate as a primary stakeholder in the Outer Labs recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and retention process
- Teach what you know, acting as a mentor when appropriate, while staying open to a process of constant learning
- Proactively communicate with other members of the team, and sometimes external clients
- Supplement existing software development practices
- Broad exposure to a variety of software engineering disciplines (frontend, backend, security, infrastructure, operations, testing, quality assurance, etc)
- Commitment to developing and maintaining a quality code base & good engineering practices
- 2+ years experience as an engineering manager
- 3-5+ years experience with Java
- Deep interest in growing productive teams
- Deep interest in the professional development of the people who report to you
- Preferred: 5+ years of professional software development experience as an individual contributor
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work. Outer Labs values working on projects together, bouncing ideas off each other, and swapping responsibilities as necessary to work quickly and smoothly.
- Strong communication skills. We communicate through written documents, Slack, Hangouts, phone, and email. You should be a good listener and reader as well as able to get your ideas across clearly and respectfully.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience or interest in AEC (Architecture, Engineering, & Construction) is a huge plus.
- Healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for employee & dependents. We cover 85% of the cost for employee, and 75% of the cost for dependents
- 401K with matching up to 4% of your salary
- Paid parental leave for all new parents
- Unlimited PTO
- 11 paid company holidays
- Computer and home office setup with phone and internet paid for up to $100 each.
- Annual stipend for education and professional development
- 100% remote working