Senior Software Engineer
Full Time (UNITED STATES)
Some questions we find ourselves asking: How can we help an architect explore thousands of ideas in the time it currently takes to explore one? How can software help us optimize the quality of space for usability while reducing the cost and resources required to build? How do encourage reusable solutions that can be manufactured more sustainably and efficiently?
Answers to these questions require deep expertise in design and engineering that comes from every level of our company. This is why we’ve invested deeply in building a culture that empowers its employees to do great work and directly shape the future of its products. We want smart, creative, and intentional individuals to be part of our core team. Are you in?
We are actively seeking experienced, creative, and pragmatic senior software engineers to join our growing team. Technologies we use include Golang, App Engine, React, Typescript, Docker, Kubernetes, and ThreeJS. We strive to write clean, maintainable code that is tested, documented, and understood across the team. We are a small team, and you will work on a variety of problems across the stack. You will have a voice and influence on technical direction and decisions, and are expected to contribute to making our team the best it can be.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve Outer Labs software
- Manage both individual and team-wide project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Act as a pillar of the software engineering team, using your experience to help guide technical decisions and direction
- Perform technical investigations on sometimes open-ended problems, form well-researched and defensible opinions on technical decisions
- Participate in code and design reviews; provide strong but constructive opinions on how to improve the quality of our infrastructure and our products; and suggest and implement creative solutions to the challenges we encounter.
- Collaborate with other disciplines on our team, including product management, design, and business development
- Proactively communicate with other members of the team, and sometimes external clients
- Teach what you know, acting as a mentor when appropriate, while staying open to a process of constant learning
- Passion for geometric modeling, computational geometry, and visualization.
- At least 5 years software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Experience implementing computational generative design methods.
- Experience with parametric modeling frameworks.
- Deep experience working with two or more of the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, web-based computer graphics (WebGL, Three.js), 2D/3D geometry & spatial reasoning, distributed and parallel systems, Google Cloud Platform, machine learning, mapping/GIS, and/or developing large software systems.
- Ability to think abstractly about complex systems
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work. Outer Labs values working on projects together, bouncing ideas off each other, and swapping responsibilities as necessary to work quickly and smoothly.
- Strong communication skills. Outer Labs is a 100% remote/distributed company. We communicate through written documents, Slack, Hangouts, phone, and email. You should be a good listener and reader as well as able to get your ideas across clearly and respectfully.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience or interest in AEC (Architecture, Engineering, & Construction) is a huge plus.
- Healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for employee & dependents. We cover 85% of the cost for employee, and 75% of the cost for dependents
- 401K with matching up to 4% of your salary
- Paid parental leave for all new parents
- Unlimited PTO
- 11 paid company holidays
- Computer and home office setup with phone and internet paid for up to $100 each.
- Annual stipend for education and professional development
- 100% remote working