Full Time (UNITED STATES)
Our clients include globally recognized brands placing “big bets” and investing in long-term solutions to sustainability, quality, and affordability. We work closely with their leadership to craft multi-year strategies, with direct access to subject matter experts and end users who help us continuously drive toward business value.
Some questions we’ve tackled: How can software automatically lay out a building’s structural system based on unique constraints? How can software encourage reusable solutions that can be manufactured more sustainably and efficiently? How can we help a designer explore a thousand ideas in the time it currently takes to explore one?
Answers to these questions require passion for design and engineering that comes from every level of our company. This is why we’ve invested deeply in building a culture that empowers its employees to do great work and directly shape the future of its products. We want smart, creative, and intentional individuals to be part of our core team. Are you in?
We are actively seeking a motivated, creative, and pragmatic Software Engineer to join our growing team. The engineering team is a mix of people from traditional CS backgrounds as well as non-traditional backgrounds such as architecture, mechanical engineering, music, and more. We value this diversity and pride ourselves on being a place that creates opportunities for motivated individuals to move into technology careers.
Our stack includes Golang, React, Typescript, ThreeJS, Docker, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud Platform. We strive to write clean, maintainable code that is tested, documented, and understood across the team. We are a small team, and you will work on a variety of problems across the stack. You will have a voice and influence on technical direction and decisions, and are expected to contribute to making our team the best it can be.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve Outer Labs software
- Contribute full stack features to our applications, as well as application-agnostic platform initiatives
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables, on the order of 2-4 week efforts
- Own epics & oversee implementation. Develop expertise in moderately sized areas of the codebase. Share any specialized knowledge & learned best practices with the team
- Learn and follow Outer Labs’ best practices with regards to software development
- Develop an understanding of important topics in AEC and how Outer Labs’ mission & vision relates
- Collaborate with other disciplines on our team, including product management, design, and business development
- Proactively communicate with other members of the team, and sometimes external clients
- Outcome-oriented, creative, and proactive personality
- Positive attitude!
- 1-4+ years of experience in a professional software engineering role, or equivalent
- Ability to scope and manage tasks spanning a single domain in the 2-4 week timeframe
- Spot and raise potential problems with your manager or lead before you get blocked.
- Experience with React + Typescript
- Experience with Golang, ThreeJS, or computational geometry and/or computational design is a plus
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work. Outer Labs values working on projects together, bouncing ideas off each other, and swapping responsibilities as necessary to work quickly and smoothly.
- Strong communication skills. Outer Labs is a 100% remote/distributed company. We communicate through written documents, Slack, Hangouts, phone, and email. You should be a good listener and reader as well as able to get your ideas across clearly and respectfully.
- Experience or interest in AEC (Architecture, Engineering, & Construction) is a huge plus
- Healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for employee & dependents. We cover 85% of the cost for employee, and 75% of the cost for dependents
- 401K with matching up to 4% of your salary
- Paid parental leave for all new parents
- Unlimited PTO
- 11 paid company holidays
- Computer and home office setup with phone and internet paid for up to $100 each.
- Annual stipend for education and professional development
- 100% remote working